28 May 2012

Thursday outing to Sheppey.


Thursday found me winging my way in the direction of Sheppey and RSPB Elmley, the day was very warm considering recent temperatures, my thoughts were perhaps seeing a butterfly or two, and, at Elmley I was not disappointed, my first sighting of an Orange Tip was most welcome.

At the farm the gents toilet revealed Swallows renovating a last years nest and just inside the door further construction of a new nest, the scrapes behind the farm have ten plus Avocet pairs nesting.

Wellmarsh scrape produced one pair of Common Terns, a profusion of BH Gulls, four Tufted Duck a high flying Buzzard using the thermals, a hunting Marsh Harrier, a few Redshank which are also nesting either side of the farm approach.

Probably the highlight of the day was the Yellow Wagtail sitting on one of the gate posts when heading back towards the main road, alas did not have my camera to hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment